The selection of programmes here is focused on developing people’s verbal and written communication skills. This is because the ability to communicate effectively via diverse written forms is imperative in today’s business environment. Through our dialogue with companies and customers, MJI has identified the diverse needs and knowledge gaps that exist in this area. In the language proficiency learning palette, MJI has put together a comprehensive suite of titles that will address these needs.
LIST OF COURSES:
LP-01 The Essentials of Email Writing and Etiquette
This program will help you understand the techniques, format, etiquette and delivery in writing better emails in your everyday work. Participants will be taught how to apply appropriate format, style and tone to their email writing. An interactive approach will give participants renewed confidence in their ability to write emails that are not only effective but also professional.
• Organize their thoughts to write effective email messages
• Apply proper email etiquette and format
• Tailor their email messages to their audience
• Employ concise writing techniques when emailing
• Use the right tone and style when writing emails
LP-02 Writing It Right
This comprehensive writing program will help you write the letters, emails and reports that are important to your career. This workshop will equip you with the techniques of good writing and help you choose an appropriate format, style and tone to enhance your writing skills.
• Identify formats of common type of writing and be able to write clear and grammatically correct emails, letters and memos
• Organize their thoughts to write effectively
• Tailor their messages to their audience
• Use the right tone and style when writing
• Learn how to respond to complaint letters/emails
LP-03 Business English for Workplace Communication
Effective communication through the written and spoken word is the key to building successful and lasting business, customer and personal relationships. This workshop equips participants with the basic skills in business communication whether over the telephone, in written or face-to-face communication.
•Understand the importance of writing and speaking good English and being understood easily
•Understand and apply phonology - sounds, stress, pitch and intonation; place and manner of articulation using vocal cords
•Understand and adhere to grammar rules
•Learn how to use proper English when communicating to project a professional image for themselves and the organization
LP-04 Effective Report Writing
The ability to present information succinctly and in a concise form is instrumental in this current dynamic business world of information. When not presented or communicated correctly, one can lose the intended message, possibly hindering or misleading decision-makers. This two-day course will impart the necessary knowledge and skills for effective report and proposal writing.
•Learn how to write clear, concise, correct and complete proposals and work reports
•Learn how to use persuasive patterns to get buy-in when writing analytical reports
•Write with professionalism using the various writing formats ( e.g. purpose of writing, who is your reader, how to collect and organise information, use of correct tone and language and how to proofread/edit your writing)
•Learn how to organize the report using proper report format
LP-05 Effective Speech Writing
If youâ€™re an executive manager, aspiring speechwriter, or someone hoping to achieve a professional leadership role, communication skills are paramount. This speech writing training module makes writing a speech straightforward and simplified. This program offers step-by-step training on the wide range of writing skills required for speeches, the techniques and instruction to sharpen their writing skills and learn the latest techniques of effective speech writing.
• Discovering how to start the writing process
• Understand the effective structure of speeches
• Learn techniques for organizing your speech
• Build thematic strategy and structure in your speeches
LP-06 The Fundamentals of Effective Minute Writing
Business writing is different from the basic English grammar taught in schools as much it tends to contain commercial and stilted language and is often contrary if not irrelevant to good business style. This workshop shares with you what good minutes writing is and how to achieve it. Participants will be taught the principles of good note-taking and minute writing.
• Enable participants to take appropriate minutes of meetings
• Familiarise themselves with the correct terminology and language of note-taking
• Learn how to organize and structure the note-taking process
• Able to produce accurately and concise minutes of meeting
• Gain confidence and build competency in minute taking
LP-07 Writing To Collect Debt
This programme is designed to help people whose job requires them to write emails and letters of reminders to expedite the payment process. This one-day workshop will equip you with the essential skills on how to write more effective letters of reminder. Skills such as how to ensure the tone of the letter matches the age of the debt will be covered. Participants will also be taught the proper techniques for making follow-up callers to debtors.
• Learn the proper format and style for writing reminder letters
• Learn how to use specific words and phrases to your advantage
• Learn how to write persuasively
• Use the right tone and style when writing
• Master the techniques used for follow-up phone calls to expedite payment
LP-08 How to Proofread and Edit Your Writing Effectively
Each day people write business letters, emails, reports and other type of business correspondence, this process, although the last stage of business writing is nevertheless vital in ensuring correctness and clarity in communication. This program will impart to participants skills and techniques that are involved in the proofreading and editing process.
• Learn the importance of proofreading
• Understand word shapes and styles
• Learn different proofreading techniques
• Learn editing skills to check accuracy and consistency in writing
• Understand the stages of proofreading and editing
LP-09 English or Singlish
The usage of Singlish has divided linguists into two opposing camps. While proponents assert that Singlish has a conversational quality that informality can afford, opponents argue that Singlish degrades Standard English and confuses communication. Participants will understand and appreciate the importance of using Standard English both spoken and written, and take effective steps to correct the habitual use of Singlish at the workplace.
• Learn to replace Singlish words and phrases with standard English alternatives
• Learn to correct abbreviated sentence constructions according to standard English
• Examine grammar, vocabulary and punctuation as critical building blocks of correct English
• Be aware of common mistakes in sentence construction and pronunciation
• Learn to correct and change the use of Singlish to Standard English
LP-10 Writing Better Replies to Difficult Customer Correspondence
Writing replies to customers through email and letters is a challenging task, especially so when responding to difficult letters and customer complaints. This hands-on and interactive workshop is designed to improve the quality of your written communications. It is especially useful for those working in customer support, call centres, and for employees who frequently write emails and letters to internal as well as external customers.
• Learn how to reply to an aggrieved customer
• Learn how to respond when you have to say “No” to your customers
• Learn how to avoid legal liability in your replies
• Appreciate the sensitivities involved when writing replies to complaints
• Make a positive impression with your writing to ensure customer retention and loyalty
LP-11 Connecting With Your Customers via Socia Media
With the advent of social media as a major communication platform in the world today, more companies are utilizing social media in both business to customer and business to business communications. This workshop seeks to address areas such as learning to better manage social media use in customer communications, mitigating risk and striking the personal/professional balance as well as utilizing social media to monitor and listen to your customers better.
• Understand the implications of social media in customer communications
• Learn to better manage social media use in customer communications
• Mitigate risk and striking the personal/professional balance
• Utilizing social media to monitor and listen to your customers
• Understand the fundamentals of communicating using social media - Managing tonality and customer centricity